Thursday, 30 July 2015

Trying Out Cameras

At the weekend I received my first set of prints taken with my Konica Pop camera.


 I'm always delighted when trying out a new camera and find it still works. The film I used was Agfa Vista Plus 200 which I bought from Poundland ( I've not seen any other camera film sold there ) When shopping for film I do usually buy 400 film but for a pound I thought it was worth a go.




These first photos were taken on a day out to Southport





and were taken at Valle Crucis Abbey in Wales.


I didn't have so much luck with the ninoka nk-700 on its first go. When the film had finished I couldn't seem to rewind it and when I opened the back of the camera the film had completely come out of the canister. The photos taken were of the Abbey so I'm glad I had taken some with the other camera. Never mind I'll try it out again another day.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Japanese Cheesecake

Today I tried out a new recipe, Japanese Cheesecake.


My cake sunk a bit in the middle even though I had let it cool slightly in the oven before I took it out. Caleb was in the house to do the taste test and it got a 'wow' from him. I tried some and I had to agree with him that it was rather nice. The cake only uses three ingredients too so not much weighing involved. The recipe that I used can be found here.

Monday, 6 July 2015

Paper Cutting

Today I had my first go at paper cutting art. The design I chose was Squirrely Valentine from Little Acorn. 


I made the mistake of not changing my blade before I began to cut and because it was abit blunt it dragged along the paper. Even though the design is simple I still found it quite tricky cutting around the acorns. 


I'm not sure if I could spent much time paper cutting as my hands were becoming quite painful when holding the knife even for something this small.
While I was searching for designs I found lots of free ones on Scherenschnitte. Some of the designs I think could also look nice as silhouette embroideries.

Thursday, 2 July 2015

First Raspberries

This afternoon I remembered to go and check on my raspberries.


 The raspberry canes were given to me by my Gran a few years ago and they have now multiplied so I should get a good amount this time. The thing is that I usually forget to check them and by the time I remember the birds have eaten most of them.


I checked for ripe ones and picked a grand total of 11. I did as my Gran does and popped them in the freezer. I'm determined to beat the birds this year.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Vintage Style Underwear Sale

This is a quick spur of the moment post just in case anyone likes this kind of thing and has missed it. At the moment What Katie Did are holding a sale. I managed to buy myself some items this week which arrived the next day, beautifully packaged as always in tissue and tied with WKD ribbon along with two pin up style post cards. 



 The photo above is of the Valerie bra and knickers which I bought this week. New items have been added and I'm torn now if I should ask my hubbie while he is trying to nod off if he fancies buying me new undies. I'm sure he won't mind .. too much. Items go very fast.

Monday, 22 June 2015

Chester Mid Summer Watch Parade

After seeing the Mid Summer Watch Parade last year by chance we went to Chester yesterday especially to watch the parade again. We almost didn't make it on time as on the way we got stuck behind a heavy load vehicle which added 45 minutes to the journey but we managed to arrive just as it was beginning.





Little L still wasn't too keen on the green men or any of the other large puppets and kept hiding behind us when she knew one was getting close. There were lots of people watching again and I just wonder how busy it gets when the parade is on the Saturday. We had a good day out and the rain even stayed away until we got back home. 

Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Lion Embroidery


This week I've been drawing and sewing a design of a lion after I took a photo of this litter bin on our trip to Blackpool. This one is just outside the Pleasure Beach at the side of the Noah's Ark. 


While I was pressing the design on to my fabric I managed to burn the tracing paper and fabric, twice. I don't know if my iron was having a funny moment but this one was my third attempt.


The lion measures 16cm x 12cm. I used two strands of embroidery thread for the dots and outlines on the eyes and three strands of thread for the rest.


This is the pattern that I used for the embroidery.